What a Week!

Wow. What a couple weeks it has been for our family. Mike is hard at work with a new company he is starting up with the Detroit Athletic Center, I am officially back in the classroom and Carter is a talking, rolling fool who is being watched by his Aunt Kiki while she is on her college Spring Break. We have been very blessed to have such wonderful friends and family help us while we are both back to work.

However, that's not why I'm writing. I cannot believe the overwhelming positive feedback and comments our family has received over the last week and a half :).  Last Friday (the 6th of March) the Detroit Free Press published an article about the fetal surgery Carter and I had in July. Although it was not the first fetal surgery that has been done, or done at Mott, it was the first when it came to our specific case of SB in Michigan. I was thrilled with the article and so excited to have so many people enjoy the article and share it with others. I cannot begin to thank enough people for sharing it out with others and getting the word out about our story; we are very lucky.

I was so overwhelmed with the amazing support we received that I wanted to let you know where it was picked up over the course of the weekend that the story came out.

First, the wonderful Detroit Free Press, who wrote a beautiful article and took amazing photos. I was so happy to see that chubby face all over the paper J
Front page... I still cannot believe it.
Shortly after both the Lansing State Journal and USA Todaypicked up the story online!!! Can you believe it?! USA Today!!! How exciting to see; it still blows my mind.

Later that day U-M Mott had a story that they shared ontheir blog, which has received over 1000 likes!!! I was so excited that word was traveling fast and the blog that I write was being seen by so many. I really never thought that my words could reach out to so many people and that our story would touch so many lives.

That evening our story was also shared on the Spina Bifida Awareness Facebook page as well as the Spina Bifida Association Page. I was happy to see that our story was shared out to other SB family members and to let them know that we are here for support and questions should they arise.

Finally, as I was taking a look at how people find my blog, I saw that there is another blog called the Right to Life of Michigan. I don’t know much about this blog but I saw that they had also shared the Free Press story on their blog; something I knew nothing about but was ecstatic that word was spreading fast!

I cannot even begin to wrap my head around how many people may have read our story but am truly grateful that they did and that others took the time to write our story and want to share it. It means so much that we were able to be part of this big step for SB fetal surgery in the state of Michigan.

Carter continues to grow and do so well (we have a roller now!) and I will continue to write about his progress but I wanted to thank each and every person who was willing to share our story with others on Facebook and to write such wonderful notes that include our family; it means so much to have such amazing friends and we are lucky to have to you all in our lives.

Comments