From the Top!

I'm not really one to blog or write down my feelings or journal. It's never really been my thing. However, my husband and I have gone through a total and complete life changing experience in our lives and I thought it would be a good idea to try not only getting my thoughts down on paper but sharing those thoughts with people who have already gone through what we have experienced or to someone who gets the news later that this blog and these posts will give them comfort. As you continue to read this blog you will find out that my husband (Mike) and I are going through a type of pregnancy that not many women have had yet, and not many men have had to experience with their wives.

This blog is not just about pregnancy and the ups and downs that go along with it, and trust me, there are lots of those. This blog will talk about how I found out my baby was diagnosed with Spina Bifida, the steps we took to find out more, what we did to, what we believe, improve his life for the better, and the current updates of the 17 weeks of bed-rest I will endure with my one day out to see the doctors. Yes, it has been a challenge and you will find that out as you read but, I guess when it comes to the life of your child, you will do anything you can. I didn't come to that realization until I was put into it. Fortunately for me I have wonderful family and friends who told me all of the things that people usually DON'T tell you when you first get pregnant; all the stuff they should tell you, but fail to mention. It's also about the importance of what pregnancy is like for you, because everyone has a different story; no two pregnancies are ever the same, so don't think because you didn't go through what your sister or friends did that you're going to have issues, it doesn't work that way.

This is not my first pregnancy. I had a miscarriage in December of 2013 at a very young gestational age where most woman may not even realize that they have a bun in the oven yet. It was hard to go through, even at a young period in the pregnancy but both my husband and I know now that it was not our plan to have a baby in August of 2014, instead we would be blessed a few months later. It also helped to know that this happens to  A LOT of women but no one usually says anything because of the pain, or they feel ashamed, or because no one talks about those kinds of things, which personally I think we should. Why not be able to support someone going through such a hard time that you have gone through? For this I am thankful that I talk about it more and open up more for those who need someone to talk to.

After this happened we waited a little bit and I became pregnant in February of 2014. It wasn't something that we really planned on happening but we were fortunate enough to get pregnant and I am so happy that I could. I understand how difficult it can be for some and getting pregnant is not something I will ever take for granted.

The first trimester was NOT FUN. I don't know if pregnant people get amnesia once they have a baby and don't tell you about that or they want to torture you by finding out on your own but it's not always all it's cracked up to be. My sister, who is only 2 weeks further along than I am had a very different pregnancy and a very different start. She didn't go through the sickness, headaches, food aversion, none of it. I apparently, got it all. I blame being the oldest on that one; I was passed down all the crappy symptoms in the beginning. Before becoming preggo and even the first 6 weeks in I worked out every day and made sure I got to the gym after work (I'm a middle school Language Arts teacher. Please don't judge my by my writing or grammar, it happens.) and I took care of myself. By the time I hit week 7, I was OUT. I felt sick everyday, and morning sickness is a crock. It's not the morning friends, it's an all day thing. In fact, I felt the best in the morning and it wasn't until my work day was done that I wanted to crawl into a hole and sleep forever. From week 7-13 there was no gym for me because all I thought was 'if I go to the gym, I will pass out...' and so instead I went home, slept until Mike came home from work, greeted him, and slept some more. Sleeping was a GODSEND.

While going through this wonderful sick/queasiness for weeks I also experience headaches, migraines, where even the slightest bit of light makes you want to scream but you can't because it will just hurt more. These still happen today and I am 25 weeks pregnant so buckle up ladies, not all the first trimester symptoms go away. Thank God, Mike is a chiropractor and I am very lucky that after a log day of work he would still come home and adjust my neck to help with the headaches. He was and still is a life-saver.

While enjoying my time being sick/queasy and soaking in all the headaches I could possibly muster up I also had food aversions. There were only few foods I would and could actually eat. Mac 'N' Cheese, bagels, peanut butter & jelly, and noodles. Anything else, ah no thank you. Chicken, gross, I can't even imagine eating it now at times.

I can say that most of this went away around week 13-14. I started to feel better, got back to get the normal routine I could participate in while at the gym, and started eating more foods. Like I said, the headaches are still there but they aren't constant. All was well and Mike and I were excited that we were going to have a baby and that by the time I was at 18 weeks we would find out if it was a boy or a girl, one of the most exciting ultrasounds you will have (minus hearing the heartbeat for the first time, truly takes your breath away). It was that appointment, the one where we were so filled with excitement that everything changed.

What I will be writing over the upcoming weeks will entail when the doctor told us the news about our baby being diagnosed with Spina Bifida, the appointments that followed, the surgery that both myself and the baby went through during week 23-24, and the weeks I have spent and will spend on bed-rest.

To my family and friends, I hope that this will help keep you updated on how baby and I are doing each week; both from my standpoint, and the doctors. For those of you who are newly pregnant, this is not in anyway supposed to scare you, because I know being pregnant with your FIRST child like I am now, everything already does. And for those who perhaps just found out your baby also has Spinda Bifida, I hope this gives you comfort and information from a woman with a child who will have it as well. Happy Reading! (Sorry, I say that to my students, so I figured it would work here too! ;) ).


Comments

  1. Us big sisters always get the raw end of the deal! So proud of you Kasey! I've always known you to be a fighter, so naturally, Baby Hilton will be too. He's baking in the toughest oven ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kasey! I just read your posts from top to bottom. My husband & I just received our daughters diagnosis of SB about two wks ago and recently had our consult w Dr. treadwell at Motts. Thank you for sharing your story - such an encouragement during such a scary time - and blessings to you all & sweet Carter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey,

      I'm so glad you found the blog and that it's been of help to you! Did you happen to stumble upon it or was it given to you by the hospital? Welcome to the MOTT SB club :) you are the first one with a girl to join us!! Please feel free to contact me via email, phone, Facebook, anything if you have any questions or need to talk to someone who has been through it. I know it's a lot to take on but we are all a team and here to support you in anyway that we can. If you're on Facebook there are some great groups too. Here is my personal email in case you ever want to talk or have more questions about anything! Kaseyl.hilton@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Are you still active on your blog? Our daughter just received this diagnosis at her ultrasound today, July 2, 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am! I haven't posted in a long time, but am still here and planning a very long update :)

      Congrats on your baby girl!!! Please feel free to email me and I can direct you to some amazing support groups and answer any questions you have.

      Delete

Post a Comment