Carter's Officially a Newborn!

Look at that newborn!

Well it's November 21st and Carter, although still a preemie is officially a newborn baby! He is 6 weeks of his actual age and 1 day adjusted; see I'm getting this whole adjusted and actual age thing ;).  Carter is doing really well and is a growing boy. On Sunday he was much fussier than Mike and I were used to and we weren't sure what was going on. He would be clean, warm, and had eaten but he would just start crying; and not your typical baby cry he would scream, so we fed him more. Turns out that was all he wanted, just some more food! When Carter left the hospital not even a month ago he was only eating 1.8 ounces every three hours. He is now up to 4 ounces every three hours! What a growing tough guy we have.

I'm so thankful that he seemed to be having a growth spurt and just wanted more food. Of course in my mind I'm reading all of the symptoms that his neurosurgeon told us about and was watching him like a hawk to see if it was something we needed to go to the hospital for. This is just another reason why I am so thankful to have Mike as my husband, because he knew not to worry too much. In fact, I think his words were "Kasey, he's been such a good baby and it's one day of being fussy. No need to rush him anywhere. He's fine."  Of course he was right and in my mind I'm thinking something must be wrong because he doesn't get like that, but I will take cries for a growth spurt. If Carter is growing then I have nothing to complain about.

Look at that smile :)

Now that Carter has been discharged from his visiting nurse I'm not sure of how much he weighs and actually won't know until his appointment on Monday, which is kind of crazy when I've been so used to him being weighed at least once a week. I've read that I could weigh myself and the hold him and step on the scale and figure out the difference, but I don't want to, a.) undress him and get him cold just to weigh him, and b.) know my own weight at this point in time. I guess if I'm getting desperate enough and really want to know I have a plan but until then if those cheeks are getting chubby and his body if filling out I am a happy momma. Although there are some things I am trying to get used to, like the fact that he used to eat every three hours and now it's all over the place. One day it's every three and the next day it's every hour, then four hours, then three hours; hard to keep track! Carter has also stopped pooping with every single diaper we change. Literally, every diaper he had there was poop and now there isn't. I was starting to think it would be part of the bladder issue but one of the baby books said that is pretty normal once babies hit six weeks to not be pooping in every diaper, so I will not overthink it and take it as a good sign.

Although we had two visitors stop by this week (pictures and the OT) it has been pretty low key, and for that I am estatic. This is the first week since Carter has been home that we haven't had to drive anywhere for any appointment! I'm glad that he (and I if we are being honest) didn't have to go anywhere this week and could just relax at home together. He will have his next appointments on Monday though, and that will be a long day for him. He will have two ultrasounds; one for his hips due to being breached as well as his cranial ultrasound to see how his ventricles are looking. Then we will have two follow ups immediately after to talk to the orthopedic doctors to see how his hips look and then his neurosurgeon to discuss the ventricles, fluid, and next steps. After those appointments Carter won't have to go back again until December which is perfect because all I will want to do with him is snuggle in this cold weather.

Please keep Carter in your prayers while he goes through these ultrasounds on Monday. He has a lot going on and we are hoping to see some positive outcomes for him. If his ventricles have decreased we may be able to hold off on the shunt for a little longer and Mike and I would really hope and pray, for Carter's sake, that we will see a decrease when we go. Until then, we are going to love up on our little tough guy for the weekend and celebrate his due date as a family.

In the meantime here is a video of Carter getting in some tummy time/ physical therapy and moving those legs!




Comments