7 Months since Fetal Surgery Check-In

I cannot believe that we have already hit the 7 month mark from the time that Carter and I had Fetal Surgery in July! I was going to post when we hit the half year mark but then I remembered that February doesn't have 29 days in the month (well I guess every 4 years) so I figured 7 months was the next best thing :).

We have been through a lot in the last 7 months; from surgery, bed rest, having Carter, going through his surgery, my surgery, and heading back to work, we have truly endured.

It's a whirlwind to think about the day that changed everything for us. I can still remember checking in and getting started, waiting anxiously in the pre-op room to be taken back and told to start counting backwards from 10.

Although I have said it multiple times throughout my posts, our family has been truly blessed by the fact that the surgery was such a success and that Carter has been doing so well. He loves to kick his legs around, smile at new faces, and tolerates tummy time for the most part.

His physical therapist is incredibly happy with his progress too! Carter has been rolling over, pulling himself up, and grabbing at anything he can get his hands on. I am always so thrilled to see how excited he gets when he focuses his eyes on something new.

It has been a long time since I have really looked at Carter's back and the scars that show the surgery he had before he was born. After his bath on Saturday while he was drying off his body with some naked time (his favorite I think... typical guy) I took a good look at how far he has come. His scars will always be with him but it will also serve as a reminder to how strong he is.

 The whole process, but look at that head raise! 
 Close up on where his surgery was and the stitches to close up his back
 Right side: This was the area that didn't close by the time he was born (see previous pictures of his back on the post Someone is 6lb. and 2 oz!!!!)
Left side: This side was completely closed at birth. 

For anyone who would like to know more about the type of surgery we had in July, PBS is going to be running a special starting on March 31st (THIS MONDAY!) called 'Twice Born'. It will give details of some families and the surgeries they had as well as speaking to the doctors who created the opportunity to have fetal surgery and the obstacles they faced to get where they are today. Not all of the stories are about babies with Spina Bifida but I know that some of them are and they will discuss the surgery that we went through.


Please check it out! I realize that most of the people I have had the chance to share my story with and family and friends have understood how big of a deal it is to have this surgery; but not everyone gets the magnitude of the process and just how big of a deal it really is. I would encourage anyone who can to watch this documentary special to get an insight of what this means for not only my family but for any family that has gone through it.

In the meantime I need to get in my Sunday snuggles with Carter... 4 more wakes up before Spring Break and only 2 weeks away until this little man is a 6 month old baby!!!!
Future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Comments