Swimming for Spina Bifida; Our First Fundraising Success

To be honest with everyone, I really didn't know how the first fundraising for Spina Bifida event I was putting together was going to go. It's the first fundraising event I have put on alone (well I wasn't really alone, I had LOTS of help) but getting things together and started I had no idea what I was doing. I must say that after the craziness of the week leading up to the event itself I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome and so thankful to everyone that was there to help and be part of the day with us! 

Leading up to the swim on Sunday I worked with my family as well as my two wonderful friends, Emily and Brittney to make sure that we had everything we needed. We decided that along with the open swim we would also have some snacks and drinks for people who came, information about Spina Bifida for those who were interested in learning more, and t-shirts that were graciously donated to us by my longtime friend, Kyle, who has his own t-shirt company (Shirt Razor, I would recommend them to anyone, seriously, amazing.) So that people could donate and receive a shirt as well. 

The night before I loaded up the vehicle with everything I needed because the last thing I wanted to do was the get a 7 month old ready and then load up a vehicle. I went to sleep pretty nervous about the outcome of what the next day would bring. 

In the morning, Brittney and my sister Karsyn were there to help me with Carter so we could all get ready for the big day. (All my mom’s will understand that we had a time we needed to be ready.) What a surprise, we were early! We decided to have breakfast and meet up with my family before heading to the pool. 

Once we got to the pool I went inside to speak with Katie, who was the woman who helped put this entire idea together and works with the Howell Area Aquatic Center. Katie was phenomenal with the whole thing. She created flyers and they were posted EVERYWHERE as well as contacting our local radio station who made announcements about the event, and put out a donation "tank" at the pool lobby for people who couldn't make it to the event but still wanted to donate. It was incredibly nice of her to do all of this for an event that the pool donated their time and space to have. Tables were set up already when we arrived so all we had to do was unload the car and get everything together. By 12:45 we were ready for people to show up!

It was a good thing we were early too because our first family showed up around ten to 1:00 which was when the event began. Slowly families and individuals became trickling in, making donations and heading to the pool J

Overall it was an amazing event. We had about 40-50 families come to support our ‘Embrace the Bif’ fundraiser and between the people who came to help, donate, and support as well as those who gave on the gofundme page, which is still up and running for you to donate, we raised about $1200 for MOTT Children’s Hospital! I am so grateful to all of the people who came out to support us, Carter, and our event. We are hoping to continue this and have an annual swimming event while working with the Howell Area Aquatic Center.

We have two more fundraising events happening over the summer and into the fall. The first is happening at both the Howell and Brighton Buffalo Wild Wings on July 19th. For every family that goes into eat at BWW, 20% of the total bill will go towards our fundraising for MOTT. We are in the works with BWW right now to make the flyers and will be sharing those as soon as we can.

The final fundraising event of the 2015 year, which is our largest, is a black tie event at the Michigan Union in Ann Arbor. We will be holding a formal event, walking dinner, and silent auction. This is happening on Friday, October 23rd and formal invitations will be sent out within the next month! I am hoping that these two final events of the year will help us raise more money for MOTT and support families of children with SB.

We would love to see you at our future events and if you cannot make it you can always donate to our gofundme page.


For those of you who played a part in our Swimming for Spina Bifida fundraiser, thank you so much! Without you none of the success we had would have been possible. I hope you enjoy the pictures from the event (coming soon... technical difficulties) and we will keep you posted on future events this summer!

Comments