Diagnosis day and an 8 month old

Wow I am way behind with my updates! I blame it on the fact that I cancelled our internet at home and that I get to spend my summer with Carter, so I've been a little busy :).

8 months flew by and Carter has been able to do so much around our house that Mike and I are constantly asking, "Where's Carter?" as he rolls along the floor.

On June 10th, our tough little guy turned 8 months old and has been a busy bee. He has learned how to roll around to get to places and toys that he wants, he can say dada and likes to say it on repeat, he tries to get up on his knees for a little bit of time, and is a big fan of songs and games.

Carter continues to grow and WOW can he eat. At this point he eats breakfast and dinner. Sometimes he will have lunch but most of the time he just wants a bottle to go along with his afternoon nap. He LOVES sweet potatoes and carrots, tolerates green beans and is a huge fan of fruit; apples seem to be his favorite at this point, but pears are a close second. He is a whopping 24.8 pounds and is 28.5 inches tall so the height is catching up :).

I think the carrots won this round ;)

I am thrilled that Carter is continuing to grow more each day and have so much more movement with his legs than we ever thought he would at this point. The fact that he can get up on his knees is amazing because his body can tell him to do it and he has the muscles in his legs to hold himself up too.

Petting goats at the Hamburg Family Fun Fest! 

Home-skillet has also started to grow some teeth! He currently has one that popped through and a second on the way, both are bottom teeth and he will chew anything that you give him. Seriously, anything. He is a big talker and likes to make a lot of sounds when he is playing. One thing that Carter and I like to do while he plays is listen to Disney music. He will listen to the songs and sometimes I will sing along and he will make noises because everything and everyone else is, so why not join in?! I do my best to not ever turn the TV on while we are playing during the day and it's been working really well. Some days we will go until 7:00 before the TV is powered up and he is in the process of getting ready for bed. I get that there are days he will see it more than others but I want to make sure he knows that the TV and any other device for that matter is a privilege when he gets older and not something he has the right to use anytime he wants to.

He just keeps growing!!! 

It's crazy to think back to where I was a year ago, receiving the diagnosis that Carter would have SB and what that would mean for our family. I truly had no idea what I was getting myself into and to think that it was all a year ago blows my mind. In fact, Mike and I did almost the same thing this year as we did last year when we found out. The week we found out was the week of our first wedding anniversary and we decided to get away for the weekend and to take our mind off of what the doctors had told us, so we went to Traverse City to enjoy the wineries (well Mike did that) and to relax by Lake Michigan, talking about what we would do if we were candidates for the fetal surgery.

This year, on our way back to Traverse City and the little cottage we stayed in before, we dropped Carter off at his family's house and spent the weekend enjoying the wineries (something we could both do now) and talked about last year, what we were thinking about then, and how we feel things are going now. Needless to say, both weekends were very different, but wonderful.

Our annual cottage trip :)

I'm looking forward to next year, when maybe we will take Carter with us and enjoy that weekend together, not as something that we are sad about but as a blessing that we were given the chance to have such a wonderful baby who just happens to have SB. After all, it is just one small part of who Carter really is, and he is the happiest, most talkative baby who loves playing with his toys and dogs, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Comments